Age of Exploration
The informal period from the 1400s to the 1700s when Europeans sailed the ocean to new lands.
Here’s a list of some of the places Europeans visited (“discovered”) during this period.
- The western coast of Africa and the Cape of Good Hope (Portugal)
- A sea route to India (Portugal)
- Central and North America (Italy/Spain)
- Present-day Canada (Italy/English)
- Japan (Portugal)
- Brazil (Portugal)
- Mexico and Peru (Spain)
- Circumnavigation of the entire globe (Portugal)
At the end of this period, humans had – for the first time – a basic knowledge of all the major land masses on the globe. There were fewer “unknown areas,” and shipping had advanced to the point where trans-ocean voyages were common and relatively reliable.
Why I Looked It Up
I had heard the term for years. My notes say I stumbled across in – probably in some book - in September.