By Deane Barker

Definition: British slang for scientist or researcher

There are lots of ideas for etymology listed on the Wikipedia page but none is definitive.

Why I Looked It Up

In an article about hacking electronic truck management systems:

Vulnerabilities in common Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs) required in US commercial trucks could be present in over 14 million medium- and heavy-duty rigs, according to boffins at Colorado State University.

The article is in The Register, which is a British publication.