Multi-Track CMS Development
More and more, I see CMSs offering alternate modes of development, outside of their core programing language or framework.
- Almost anything in .NET can be developed at the Razor level. Umbraco does quite a bit of this. This is technically templating, but (unfortunately), it allows full-blown C# code inline, so it can be dangerous.
- Crafter CMS has a Groovy development environment, which is a scripting variant of Java.
- Magnolia has a highly-developed "light development” mode for front-end devs to do considerable programming and development. I’ve seen entire websites developed in Magnolia by front-end devs who don’t know any Java.
- Drupal does templating in Twig which might be “sandboxed” to provide pseudo-programming functionality. (I discussed this years ago in a blog post: Smarty as a Sub-Language.)
- I have written Denina which is an editorial scripting system.
I’m looking for other examples, if you know of any.